If you want to buy and import a car from Italy, you first need to understand the intricacies of the Italian market and the difficulties a buyer in a foreign country may encounter. In this article we will tell you in detail about the advantages of Italian cars, the best sites for finding new and used cars, the peculiarities of registration and export of cars from the country.
Why it is profitable to buy a car from Italy
Advantages of buying a car in Italy:
- a large selection of compact economy cars;
- a wide range of budget small cars and sporty supercars;
- low prices, including on premium sports models.
Where to buy a car in Italy
Today's automobile market is very flexible and provides buyers with the widest range of opportunities to buy cars abroad. In Italy, as in any European country, different search options are available:
- Car dealerships, dealership centers. This option is suitable for those who want to buy a new car from the showroom. Authorized dealerships offer a wide model range of the brand, provide consultations, assistance in making the purchase, offer different financing and service options.
- Specialized websites, online platforms. The advantage of the online market is that you have more options to consider, compare prices and characteristics, analyze the market. The disadvantage is that you can't always be sure of the reliability of the resource.
- Private sellers. You can also search the internet for classified ads. Buying a car by hand is the riskiest option for a buyer.
- Car Auctions. Among all online platforms, this option is the most reliable and convenient.
When choosing an auction, it is of great importance which countries it focuses on and the level of service. One of the most convenient and functional is the international auto auction plc.auction. Its advantages:
- multi-language interface;
- large assortment of cars from Italy and other countries of Europe and the world;
- inspection service is available (if you are in another country and do not have the opportunity to see the car yourself);
- possibility of full verification of car history by VIN code with the help of special verification service;
- buying a car directly from the auction site;
- delivery of the car by the company to the destination specified to you.
Who can buy a car in Italy
According to the new laws, only a resident of the country, i.e. a citizen or any resident with a residence permit, can buy a new car in Italy. In order to purchase, it is sufficient to provide a residence permit as an identity document, a TIN and residence registration data. If the residence permit is not yet available, it is possible to submit a certificate of application for a residence permit.
How to buy a car in Italy for a non-resident
The purchase of a new or used car in Italy by a non-resident is also possible, but with the condition of exportation abroad. He or she will be able to use this car on the territory of the country only for a very short period of time, and for this he or she will need to obtain transit license plates.
The procedure for buying a car by a foreigner is different. According to the new rules introduced in 2020, in order to take a car out of Italy, you must first of all deregister it. What to do:
- The local PRA will receive a document stopping the car from operating in Italy and exporting it.
- At the same Vehicle Registration Office, obtain a certificate of exemption (Certificato di radiazione).
What documents are needed when buying a car in Italy
To buy a motor vehicle in Italy and deregister the vehicle, you will need these documents:
- certificate of title to the vehicle;
- technically a passport;
- license plates.
How to bring a car from Italy
You can take the vehicle out on your own, but provided you have a permit, transit plates, and that no more than 6 months have passed since the date of the inspection and stop-use request.
You can order the services of a car carrier, but in this case you will have to get a lot of permits and pay a lot of duties. Another option is the delivery of cars from Italy by our company, which is engaged in car shipping and takes care of all the necessary documents and transportation of the car from Italy to the country of destination.
It costs nothing to clear your car in Italy. You will have to pay in the country where you import the car according to the tariffs accepted in the country.
Algorithm of buying a car in Italy
Buying a car from Italy is exciting, but also very troublesome. To simplify your task, we offer step-by-step instructions that will help you organize your actions, properly prepare for the purchase and save you time.
- Budget. Determine your purchase budget, taking into account the cost of the car, shipping and other related expenses, and an additional 10% of the car's price for unexpected expenses.
- Market research. Choose a site to search, compare prices, conditions, assortment.
- Choosing a vehicle. When choosing, consider your preferences, needs, performance, vehicle condition, and budget.
- Planning. If you are buying a car yourself, you need to arrange a meeting with the seller, collect the necessary amount of money, documents for traveling to another country, plan the route and find a place to stay. If necessary, find a translator in advance.
- Car inspection. The key tasks of the inspection are to assess the condition of the body and paintwork, the condition of the interior, inspection of the engine, check the ignition and electronic systems, maintenance, and ideally - a full diagnosis of the car at the service station.
- Test drive. During the test drive you will evaluate the driving characteristics, dynamics, efficiency of all systems, and driving comfort.
- Transaction. When you have reached an agreement with the seller on all matters, including price, you should check that all documents are in order and execute the purchase agreement.
- Payment of taxes and fees. The number of fees and their amount vary depending on the region of Italy. These may include regional transfer tax, registration fees, stamp duty, etc.
- Insurance. This is a must in Italy, as without insurance you will not be able to register your car.
- Registration of documents for export from the country.
Expert tips for used car buyers in Italy:
- scrutinize and check documents carefully;
- Check the condition of the car in person, compare what you see with what the owner tells you;
- refuse to buy if you have even the slightest doubt about the seller's honesty;
- Refuse cars with fresh paint jobs, as they may have been seriously damaged in an accident;
- refuse the transaction if the seller offers questionable payment options.
Costs when buying a car in Italy
Price is the main reason that makes citizens of other countries come to Italy to buy a used car. The prices for locally produced cars are especially attractive.
In addition to the main expense item - the cost of the vehicle, the buyer incurs other associated costs (taxes, fees, duties):
- registration of transfer of ownership with the PRA - 30 euros;
- fee to the Land Transport Department - 9 euros;
- contribution to the Automobile Club of Italy (ACI) - 21 euros;
- fee for obtaining a technical passport - 30 euros.
From the beginning of 2020, cash payments over 1000 euros are prohibited in Italy. So you need to think about the method of payment, and if it is a bank transfer, depending on the bank, you will have to pay a certain amount of commission when transferring money.
Which car is better to buy in Italy
If you are planning to bring a car from Italy, pay attention to the top 5 most popular cars in our list:
- Fiat 500.
- Alfa Romeo Giulia.
- Fiat Panda.
- Peugeot 208.
- Ford Fiesta.
A classic representative of compact cars made in Italy for comfortable transportation in the narrow streets of Italian cities. Unlike other Fiat models, it is a low-cost image model, which was a success on the European market. The advantages of the model are original retro design, low maintenance costs, low cost of components, comfort, maneuverability.
- rear torsion bar suspension, front independent McPherson;
- engines gasoline 1.4 liter, 101 hp with MKPP and AKPP, electric 113 hp, gearbox with a range of 140 km;
- front-wheel drive.
Alfa Romeo Giulia
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is a new premium sports sedan that takes its name from the popular Alfa Romeo model of the 60s and 70s. The serial version of the model was released in 2015. In the top modification, the car has a powerful twin-turbocharged 6-cylinder engine with 510 hp. In simple modifications there are petrol, diesel fours, with an output of 136-280 hp.
The advantages of the sports car are spectacular design, ergonomic interior and driver-friendly control panel, modern technologies, functionality - in general, it fully corresponds to its class.
The Panda is a compact city car that comes in a hatchback body with 5 doors. One version of the model has all-wheel drive, and it is called a small all-terrain vehicle, which has gained many fans. The motors in the Panda are gasoline and diesel with very low fuel consumption. And in 2020, the company has also launched a hybrid model. In the same year 2020, Panda celebrated its 40th anniversary with record sales - more than 8 million copies of this model were sold worldwide.
Peugeot 208 is a compact B-class hatchback with 3 and 5 doors. It is equipped with economical gasoline and diesel engines 75-130 hp and front-wheel drive, there is also an electric version of the model with 136 hp and a range of 350 km.
The advantages of the compact urban Peugeot 208 are lightness, maneuverability, easy cornering, comfortable interior, interesting design. Peugeot 208 is a modern European car at an affordable price.
American subcompact car, which is available in hatchback and sedan bodies. How did it happen that the "American" turned out to be in the list of the most popular cars to bring from Italy? It's simple - it is a very popular in the world compact city car, and it is such cars that are most in demand in Italy.
It is equipped with gasoline engines 1.6 liters with MKPP, robot, 105 and 120 hp.
Pluses of the model are galvanized body, which is not afraid of corrosion, excellent dynamic characteristics. Maneuverability, excellent handling, trouble-free operation of all systems in any weather, comfort and economy.